Pop! Wow! Street Art Festival, Kaka'ako, Hawaii

A nice thought at Aupuni Space, Kaka'ko, Honolulu
When we moved to the Kaka'ako neighborhood in Honolulu, one of the first things we noticed was the street art.

Buildings everywhere are decorated with gorgeous murals.
Showing more of the mural with the "Creativity is Freedom" poem
Soon after, we discovered that many of these works are part of the annual Pow! Wow! Street Art Festival held every February.
By Solomon Enos (@solomonenos) and Kaiili Kaulukukui
Artists from all over the world come to Honolulu and paint these amazing pieces.
Stunning mural of a woman with gold flowers by Vietnamese artist Tran Nguyen
Over the next few weeks (months, probably) I'll be featuring some of these works on my blog.
Mural by Simone Legno
But, what I've noticed is that these murals are incredibly popular with tourists. 
You can see two murals from the corner of the building
I'll be walking along in my neighborhood and see a group of six or eight young women each waiting to pose in front of a mural. 
Another part of the mural by Simone Legno. These murals are so big and in spaces like alleys where it is impossible to photograph the entire mural in one frame.
I have to say, it's quite exciting to live in the middle of such a vibrant art community.
Artists Ricky Watts (@rickywatts) and James Bullough (@james_bullough)
Of all the murals, I think my favorite must be Green Eggs and (Sp)am by Dr. Slick.
Green Eggs and (Sp)am by Dr. Slick
It's a wild take on Dr.Seuss' Green Eggs and Ham, with a Hawaiian twist.
I waited around in hopes that the van would move, but it never did
For some reason, Spam is incredibly popular in Hawaii.
 I don't know why, but you see it on menus everywhere, even in some high end restaurants.
One thing I will be very interested to see is next year's Pop! Wow! Festival.
I'll definitely be bringing my camera there every day to see how the new murals progress.
But, I wonder, do they find new space every year for the works or do they paint over old ones.
It would be a shame to lose these these murals after only a year because they are magnificent. 
If you go: All these murals are near the intersection of Auahi and Cooke Street in Kaka'ako, but there are murals over this area. 
***
If you enjoyed this story, you might like my novel Truffle Hunt
Order the Truffle Hunt ebook at Amazon
Order a softcover copy of Truffle Hunt at Eckhartz Press



Comments

Popular Posts