How did this all get started?

I've always enjoyed writing.  When we had our tiny, organic farm in Rhode Island (from about 2002-2012) I kept a blog about the successes (and many failures) we had growing crops, building a greenhouse and starting a farmers market.  If you like, you can see the blog here.  I talked about cooking with our bounty, too, so if you're a cook, you might enjoy the blog as well.  I really enjoyed keeping this blog and it got me in the habit of writing regularly.

In addition, we also enjoy travel, especially outside the U.S.  Karen and I still travel regularly (we just got back from France and the U.K.) and I started writing blogs (before Facebook was ubiquitous) to keep family and friends updated on all the crazy things that happened while we were in Europe.  Here's a link to a blog I wrote about our trip to Spain in 2006.

In 2011, when we visited Croatia, there were truffles (Tartufi) everywhere!  We had truffle dishes for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.  We stumbled on a truffle (and wine) festival in Buzet.  I even smuggled some samples home. 

And, on that plane ride back to the U.S., I came up with a crazy idea.  What if?  If you haven't read Truffle Hunt yet, I won't spoil the "what if" because it is integral to the plot, but let's just say the idea wouldn't leave my head. 

Luckily, I had kept a journal and taken lots of pictures during our trip.  I spoke to my friend and author, Rick Kaempfer.  I told him about my idea and he said "You'll never know unless you try."  Thirteen weeks later, the first draft of Truffle Hunt was completed. 

It took me three years of writing, rewriting and editing before the book was finally published in 2015 by Eckhartz Press.  And now, I have the bug.  Several other ideas are in various states of completion and I'll occasionally write short pieces as well.  On this blog you can expect to find original writing, opinion, and personal updates and observations.  Enjoy!


  

Comments

Popular Posts